Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Math in Blog Posts

It is always a challenging task to render equations in web browsers. There are so many latex-to-html converters. The latex code is converted to an image file to be embedded into the html page. There are then MathML standards. The question comes next is if the browser is MathML compatible. I am not sure if blogspot supports latex. Do let me know if anyone says yes. I have just come to know that wordpress supports latex code though it uses the same trick of converting the code into an image. We need not do any conversion. Just write the latex code as follows:
$latex this-is-my-latex$
Insert this into the code of your post. It's done. You can also change the background and foreground colors of latex rendition as well as the size.
To change colors: $latex this-is-my-latex&bg=cc0000&fg=ffffff$
To change the size: $latex this-is-my-latex&s=3$
For more details, visit this page.
I told this feature to my friend Hariharan. He immediately tested it and was quite happy though he felt MathML is the key to math-rendition on the web. The tools are still under development for MathML, and browser compatibility standard is the key issue. You may also see this google gadget - equation editor (to convert latex code to an image)
Addenda
I was wondering how it had come to my mind the possibility of using latex in wordpress. I now remember the spark(!) came after seeing these posts of Mogadalai and Terence Tao. I then checked the wordpress help. Though I have been reading their blogs for quite sometime, the spark(!) gets initiated only when the time is right!!!!!!! Thanks.
__________________________

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting... let me check this out and get back :)

This is going to take some time because I am still not connected from home. Sometime this week, a new ISP will condescend to sell me their services.

Fingers crossed :)

Shencottah said...

Hope your connectivity will be restored soon, Kovai.