Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Cricket Diplomacy

Mr.Natwar Singh said,"We are willing to discuss any issue with Musharraf...Mr. Musharraf is arriving here on April 16 to witness the cricket match on April 17. Besides cricket, we would talk on any issue if he wished to..." and he added,"At no stage, have we stopped telling them that the real success of composite dialogue will be when terrorism is stopped because the structure for terrorism still continues there..."
I imagine a discussion like this on April 17 between them and the press meet that follows:
-----------------------------------
NS: "General, I told the house that we are willing to discuss any issue."
M: "Very nice of you. I thought you would bring again only Kargil and terrorism."
NS: "I also informed the house that we never stopped telling you the importance of stopping terrorism."
M: "Is it? Very kind of you to have said that discussion would be on topic of my choice."
NS:"When will you stop aiding terrorist groups?"
M: "I am also worried about.."
NS:"Thank you, General. I can then announce that our discussion is a great success.."
M:"Wait.Wait. I am worried that my boys should play well today.."
NS(with a smile):"!!!"
M:"But they should hit the target.."
NS(jumping with joy):"Ah! Another great diplomatic victory. General has agreed to target the terrorist camps."
M:"What? Is this the way to treat your guest? Afridi and others should hit Pathan and Balaji for sixes and fours so that they lose their confidence."
NS(with a smile):"!!!"
M:"We should also tighten our field placing to avoid giving easy runs.."
NS(with a beamish face):"How nice! We never thought you also wanted to make these hard core terrorists to run away.."
M:"This is the limit. I have come here to enjoy the cricket match. And the last thing I want to hear is any of your usual complaints. You better treat your guest well. Else I can put a word to my big brother Bush and will prevent you all from visiting any other countries. You know that? Let me enjoy cricket here.."
NS(with a serious face):"Yes, General. Inzamam is a quality player,isn't it?"
M nodded.
After the match, when asked by media about the discussion, Natwar Singh proudly announced that he never stopped telling the General on the importance of stopping terrorism. Media was curious to know General's response. Natwar Singh said the general too responded appropriately and announced happily that the next diplomatic discussion would be during the coming World Cup matches.

No comments: