Friday, November 10, 2006

Bangalore Book Festival 2006

Bangalore Book Festival opens on November 10, 2006. It will be held till 19th November.
Venue: Palace Grounds (Mekhri Circle entrance)
Time: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Entry fee: Rs. 20/- (It was ten rupees last year!!)
The Hindu says that there will be a search engine manned by trained personnel to help you locate the book you want. But we often cherish serendipitous moments during such book festivals when we suddenly spot a book of our interest, or more accurately when a book finds a worthy reader in us.
Update
Time: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for that great news! I'm dumping at least some of my other plans this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Argh!

What can I say, I'm at least a thousand kilometres away from Bangalore :(

Next year, hopefully!

Anonymous said...

I just read the piece again.

I have fond memories of the many hours that I spent in that little second-hand bookstore just off the 8th cross in Malleshwaram - the bookstore that you introduced me to!

I have lost count of the many treasures that I unearthed there, which would often cost no more than a mere twenty rupees.

Sadly, the bookstore exists no more.

Shencottah said...

Abi,
Thanks for dropping in. Hope you had a great weekend at BBF.

Kovai,
I too hope you will make it next year.

Now for the old-book stall that vanished from Malleswaram -
What an old-book stall it was!!! I had always found atleast one treasure everytime I visited that shop. The Person-in-charge was very helpful. He carried his activites with a smile. Though his son was not polite initially he too had changed his attitude later.

When I bought a book on M.L. Vasantakumari (published in early seventies), I did not know that was going to be my last book from that shop for a long time to come. A drop of hope is emerging out of the previous sentence.

I enquired some neighbouring shops about this old-book shop. But the answer was always in negative.