Saturday, October 20, 2007

Cough and spit anywhere

Few months back, our media flashed photos and video clipping of Mr. Lalu Prasad Yadav's paan-expectoration when he attended a function where hygiene was supposed to be the main theme. We all must have laughed and once again reinforced our beliefs and biases about persons. The following incident happened two days back inside the Kabini Canteen, Indian Institute of Science.
There was a "research-scholar" sitting in the next table. I was having my Rice+Rasam with my friend. The hot rasam of Kabini was very good especially when you were recovering from fever. Since they keep the rasam and sambar vessels outside, you do not have to ask anyone. Just go and fill the tumbler with rasam. Drink slowly. That seemed to be a very good recipe for recovery. I was relishing my rasam when I was shocked to see our "research-scholar" spitting down. Oops!! This was inside the Kabini Canteen. There are chairs outside too. It is okay if you spit sitting outside as it is on the ground you are spitting. But inside where flooring is done? I was really stunned. He did again. I did not know if I had to go and tell him. We finished our lunch and were about to leave. I showed my friend the deeds of our "scholarly" friend. Then we decided to go and inform him not to spit inside.
I told him,"Please do not spit inside"
He looked at me as if I was curtailing his civic rights.
He said,"Cough comes."
"You could then go out and spit."
"It comes frequently."
"You could still take your food and sit outside."
He just nodded his head but still stayed there. I could not say anything more. I then left the place.
_________________________________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you must have complained to Kabini officials and made him clean that place by himself. Then, our reseaerch scholar might have learnt a lesson of the day.

Shencottah said...

I thought I would talk directly to him. Since he did seem to agree by nodding his head, I think complaining to Kabini staff did not occur to me. I was initially thinking that which would be better - to talk to Kabini staff or to talk to the person directly.

Anonymous said...

I guess this is the first "direct action" that you took with a stranger. I commend this courageous act!