Thursday, December 30, 2004

M.S. Subbulakshmi - 004

(Excerpts from the Presidential Address by MS at the Music Academy, Madras, 1968.)

...At a time like this when a woman is called upon to preside over this Conference, it is but natural that the memory of her mother should come before her mind's eye. In my case, my mother was not merely my mother - She was also my music teacher. What little knowledge of music I possess today, I owe, in the first instance, to my mother, the late Veena Shanmukhavadivu of Madurai. Before her, both as mother and music teacher, I prostrate and pray for her soul force to come to my aid...
...Next I remember with gratitude the late Sangita Vidwan Srinivas Iyengar of Madurai. It was he who commenced my music tuition in the traditional manner by breaking a coconut and taught me music upto the stage of Varnam. After that, as I was unable to go to a music teacher for advanced tutions, I continued to learn from my mother. In later years, I had the good fortune to learn from several great musicians. Among them I must mention Sri Musiri Subramania Iyer and Sri Semmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer. I acknowledge with gratitude the knowledge they are giving me even today. Considering them as Gurus, I salute them...
...The blessings and good wishes of several great musicians have contributed to my progress in the musical world...
...Bhakthi is nothing but the devotion that we show to the Divinity that resides within us. Once we regard the Divinity within us with devotional fervour, we are bound to develop the same affection towards everything outside...
...I request students of music to devote their attention to the acquisition of purity in voice and sruthi. To achieve this, it is essential that they should practise voice culture assiduously. One should not be content with possessing a sweet voice; in the manner in which land is ploughed to yield a good crop, the voice should be cultivated in order to get the best out of it...