Friday, December 24, 2004

M.S.Subbulakshmi - 002

(From the unpublished book Memoirs of a reticent heart written by Shencottah)

....though I know that MS has not been keeping well for more than a year, the effect of this loss seems to be overwhelming. The knowledge of the transient nature of our lives does not help us either in such situations. I always tell my friends about MS as 'Age does not wither her beauty'. She looks divine in her young age, in her old age, in glory, and in suffering. But now, we can sense all that only in our memories and through abstraction. I have been listening to her songs again and again since sunday morning. It's difficult to believe that the voice that created those emotions does not exist anymore on earth. Though I have read people criticising her music, I feel she takes Viswarupam before me as a person whenever I read about her charities, her kind gestures, her dedication, her lovable nature, and the innate goodness. Add all these to her singing with bhakthi, with emotions. Loss seems to be too much for me to handle. All the feelings that have come to me over the years since I first read about her years ago seem to have gathered momentum and struck me at once. I feel I am blessed to know her existence. I feel I am also now cursed not to see her again in flesh and blood. The shadow of death flies all around us silently without leaving its mark but strikes when the destiny desires....