Tuesday, January 11, 2005

M. Chandrasekharan

(I got a mail this morning enquiring if the violinist in my previous post is a real person or I used that name just like that. He is real. So, Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce Shri. M.Chandrasekharan.)

Born on December 11, 1937 at Calcutta.

Father: Mohan

Mother: Charubala. For M.Chandrasekharan, she has been not only a mere mother, but was his Guru and God. And the mention of her name brings tears of remembrance and loving gratitude in his eyes. Chandrasekharan lost his eye-sight following an attack of jaundice by the age of two.

Learnt violin from his mother. Learnt vocal from Mannargudi Sambasiva Bhagavatar, Kumbakonam S. Viswanathan, Vidyala Narasimha Naidu and T. Jayammal.

Accompanied G. N. Balasubramaniam, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer, T. R. Mahalingam (Mali), Madurai Mani Iyer, Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar, Madurai Somasundaram, T. K. Rangachari, Ramnad Krishnan, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Balamuralikrishna, and many others.

The following is from an article written by Vasumathi Badrinathan. Click here to read the article.)

"Had she not encouraged me then, the picture probably would have been very different", says M. Chandrasekaran Carnatic violin virtuoso thinking back on his mother in whose form the Muse manifested herself, transforming his visual handicap into virtual non-existence. Nothing deterred his violinist mother, the late Charubala Mohan, from goading on her young son and feeding into him the intricacies of music. "She would literally hold my hand and help me use the bow. Whatever hurdles there were, she overcame them. Today, I enjoy the fruit of her labour" reminisces the maestro with unconcealed nostalgia of an unstinting sacrifice that sculpted his career.

"Whatever I would have achieved with vision, I think I have been able to without it. Vision is but an exterior element. What I need to see, I still see it through my heart."

(Photo courtesy: The Hindu)

No comments: