Saturday, January 01, 2005

kaiviLakku - கைவிளக்கு

கைவிளக்கின் பின்னேபோய்க் காண்பார்போல்
மெய்ஞ்ஞான மெய்விளக்கின் பின்னேபோய்
மெய் காண்பது எந்நாளோ?
- தாயுமானவர்


kaiviLakkin pinnEpOyk kANbArpOl
meynjnjAna meyviLakkin pinnEpOy
mey kANbathu ennALO?

- thAyumAnavar

It was completely dark. It was a night in some forest. I did not know whether my eyes were open or not. How does it matter when all you see is pitch-black? Suddenly I saw a spark somewhere very far. It was very far indeed. I believed someone was walking with a hand-lamp. I thought he must be knowing how to traverse this forest. With a lamp in hand, he did not seem to have any problem. He vanished after few minutes.

Who would show me the light? I was moving here and there in that darkness. Hitting the trees. Stamping on thorns. Getting hurt. Feeling the 'getting lost forever' emotion. Who would show me the way?

Did I hear someone saying "I will show" ? I was then scared. I immediately started singing my favourite song loudly to cast off any fear from showing up too much.

Did I hear "Why are you singing out of fear? I have now come." ?

This was getting too much. I stopped walking and looked around. Someone seemed to be standing behind me at a distance. Was it my illusion? How could I see in this dense night? I then noticed she was holding something behind her shoulder. A small cone of light was seen behind her.

She said with lots of grace and care, "Hold this hand (kai) lamp (viLakku). I know the way out. We will move out of this forest".

I walked holding the lamp. She also had one. In a way, we followed the lamp. How could it be useful if we walk in front of it? To see (kAnbathu) the way, we have to walk behind (pinnepOy) the lamp. After few hours of walking, we came out of the forest. Safely reached...

I am now sitting in my home; my place - a familiar place. But Is this familiar? This city is also like a forest. Why city? This life is also like a forest. We are quite confused at times. We are very assured at other times. We do not know what to do. Or we think we know what to do. There are moments of joy, happiness, and peace. There are problems too. Problems at home. Problems at office. Problems with colleagues. Problems with family.

Who will show me the light? Who will show me the way? I yearn for the wisdom (meynjnjAnam). The real truth (mey) behind this Life. I long for that feeling of "always acting rightly and wisely with a good heart".

Who will show me the light of wisdom (meyviLakku)?
Who will show me the path?
Is there anyone whom I could follow?
(meyviLakku can also mean Guru, an Enlightened Soul. pinnepOy also means 'to follow'.)

When will I see "It" ? Wisdom. Truth. Reality.
When will that day come? (ennALO)
.....
kANbAr means one who sees.
pOl means similar, like, etc.
.....
People go only behind the hand-lamp to be watchful of their way. Like that, when will I realize the Truth by going behind the light of Wisdom?
(Song by Thayumanavar, Transliteration and English Notes by Shencottah)